Bosnia: Mladic rushed to hospital, trial interrupted
last update: July 12, 17:38
The Hague, 12 July (AKI) -The trial of wartime Bosnian Serb military commander Ratko Mladic in the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia was interrupted on Thursday after he complained of health problems and was rushed to hospital.
Mladic, 69, complained he didn’t feel well during cross-examination of second prosecution witness David Harland. Presiding judge Alphons Orie interrupted the session and ordered medical checkups after which Mladic was rushed to hospital.
Tribunal spokeswoman Nerma Jelacic said Mladic was hospitalized for “preventive reasons” and will be examined by a team of international doctors.
Mladic has been charged on eleven counts of genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity, but he denied the charges. He was arrested north of Belgrade last year after sixteen years in hiding.
While on the run, Mladic suffered several strokes and his health has considerably deteriorated, doctors said. His lawyers and some court officials had expressed a fear that he may die before the verdict was pronounced.
Orie planned a new court session on Friday, but said he wasn’t sure whether Mladic will be in a position to stand trial
tutte le notizie di Security