Over 102,000 Italians repatriated since COVID-19 epidemic
Pubblicato il: 23/06/2020 23:51
Italy's foreign ministry has arranged the return home of more than 102,000 Italians since the COVID-19 emergency began earlier this year, the ministry said in a statement on Tuesday.
The "fully safe" repatriations from 121 countries have taken place in 1,090 air, sea and land operations "in compliance with health norms" , the statement said.
On Tuesday alone, 694 Italian citizens were repatriated from the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, Malta and Burkina Faso, according to the statement.
Italians were stranded abroad when countries sealed their borders and suspended international flights in a bid to stop the global spread of the COVID-19 virus, which has now killed over 474,200 people worldwide and infected over 9.1 million people worldwide.