While no proof yet exists that eastern warlord Khalifa Haftar's forces staged lethal overnight air strikes on a migrant centre in Tripoli "all the signs" point to his involvement, unnamed Libyan sources told Adnkronos.
"All the signs point to this," said the sources.
Two migrants held in Tajoura were injured and the detention centre's roof was damaged by Haftar's warplanes in an attack in May that targeted a nearby military deposit, the sources recalled.
The UNHCR refugee agency had already called in May for the Tajoura centre, which holds 600 people, to be closed after the air strike.
It was immediately yet clear if the latest attack, which the United Nations said killed at least 44 people and severely injured over 130 was an accident or if whoever ordered it knew there would be "collateral damage", the sources told Adnkronos.
"There must be an international enquiry to determine responsibility and the dynamics of the incident," the sources said.
Only on Monday, Haftar’s air force commander, Mohammed al-Manfour, had warned that his forces would intensify air raids on Tripoli.
Tajoura centre's coordinates had been communicated to the warring sides in the three-month-old battle for Tripoli between Haftar's militia and forces loyal to the internationally recognised government, according to the United Nations' human rights chief Michelle Bachelet.
Bachelet said the attack may amount to a war crime.