Italy's foreign minister Luigi Di Maio on Tuesday expressed support for convicted murderer Enrico 'Chico' Forti, who is serving a life sentence in the US state of Florida.
"Thanks Chico. Despite what you have endured, you have kept your faith in the institutions. You are not alone in this battle and rest assured that I will do whatever possible to finally resolve your case positively," Di Maio wrote on Facebook.
"Don't give up - we won't," read the post.
Earlier on Tuesday, cabinet minister undersecretary Riccardo Fraccaro said Italy would ask the US to pardon Forti and to this end would seek meetings with Florida's governor and American diplomats "in the coming months".
Di Maio said last month that the government hopes that Forti may be allowed to serve his sentence in Italy if US authorities refuse to review his case or to free him.
Forti was arrested in Florida 1998, tried and sentenced to life in jail in 2000 for the murder of Australian Dale Pike. He denies any part in Pike's killing.