The United Nations mission in Libya on Wednesday deplored the deadly overnight air strike on a migrant holding centre in Tripoli in which it said at least 44 people died and over 130 were "severely injured".
"UNSMIL strongly condemns the attack on a compound in Tajoura in which migrants were detained, which led to at least 44 deaths and more than 130 severe injuries," the UN mission tweeted.
"This is the second time this facility, hosting about 600 migrants, has been attacked," the tweet added.
Most of the dead are believed to be sub-Saharan Africans, attempting to reach Europe from Libya by sea.
The UN refugee agency UNHCR appealed for the evacuation of all refuges and migrants from Tripoli battle zones comes after an airstrike on 7 May hit a target less than 100 metres from the Tajoura detention centre, where over 500 people were being held.
UNHCR said two people were wounded in the airstrike in which shrapnel hit the hangar-style detention centre's roof.
Tripoli has been in the grip of warfare since early April between eastern warlord Khalifa Haftar's self-styled Libyan National Army and militias allied to the internationally recognised government.
International diplomatic efforts have so far failed to bring about a ceasefire in the three-month-long fighting Tripoli in which over 600 people had been killed and more than 3,260 wounded, according to the UN.