Egypt aims to solve Regeni murder case - govt
Pubblicato il: 01/12/2017 12:36
The Egyptian government intends to do "everything possible" to solve last year's murder of Italian doctoral student Giulio Regeni, foreign minister Same Shoukry said on Friday.
"We are determined to do everything possible to resolve this case in a way that satisfies everyone," Shoukry told the Mediterranean Dialogues summit taking place in Rome through Saturday.
It is the first time that Shoukry has visited Italy since Regeni's abduction in Cairo, severe torture and murder early last year - a case that severely strained relations between the two countries.
There has been widespread suspicion among western diplomats and in the Italian press that Egypt's security forces were behind Regeni's savage murder - claims strenuously denied by the Egyptian government.
No far, no arrests have been made in the case.
Italy withdrew its ambassador to Egypt for 15 months in protest at a lack of progress in solving the brutal killing of Regeni, a 28-year-old PhD student at Cambridge university.
Regeni's badly tortured and mutilated body was found on Cairo's outskirts in early February last year, ten days after he vanished on 25 January after heading to a friend's party in the centre of the city.